WLAN and miniSD socket

WLAN adapter and miniPCI-express slot
konrad

WLAN and miniSD socket

Post by konrad »

Hello,

i've got two questions about the new fit-pc.

1. Does w/o wifi in the "fit-PC2 Diskless" and "fit-PC2 Linux Value" configurations truly mean without any wireless lan support/chipset or just delivered without an antenna?

2. Is the miniSD socket SDHC compatible?

Thanks,

Konrad

irads

Re: WLAN and miniSD socket

Post by irads »

The WLAN is implemented as a mini-PCI express card and is not installed in the diskless and value models to reduce costs. This is not intended for user installation but 1.1GHz with WLAN may be offered by distributors.

Unfortunately the SD controller in US15W does not support SDHC.

konrad

Post by konrad »

Is the port/socket for the WLAN PCI-E Card still available in diskless and value configurations (for adding wlan functionality on my own - and no usb devices suck :D)? Unfortunately my local distributor just ships the standard versions of fit-PC2, but I really don't need the 160gb non-flash drive because I want the system to be highly energy efficient (and of course I don't want to pay for a spec I won't need).

amite.rivers

Post by amite.rivers »

konrad,

thank you for asking the question. My mini SD cards are all over 4GB, so fit-pc2 is unusable for me. I will wait for fit-pc3.

konrad

Post by konrad »

@amite.rivers

maybe you think about using an usb adapter. some of them are very tiny and support sdhc without any problems. at least for me waiting for fit-PC2 is not an option :D.

konrad

Post by konrad »

irads wrote:The WLAN is implemented as a mini-PCI express card and is not installed in the diskless and value models to reduce costs. This is not intended for user installation but 1.1GHz with WLAN may be offered by distributors.
Does "not intended" also mean "not possible" or can I buy a diskless or value configuration and add something like this:
http://shop.varia-store.com/product_inf ... -5GHz.html

irads

Post by irads »

Not intended means that we may manufacture fit-PC2 that does not incorporate WiFi functionality without the miniPCI express socket.

The specific miniPCI express you linked to is half size. We support full size.

Anyway opening fit-PC2 to install another miniPCI express card is considered hacking and will void your warranty.

oldie

Post by oldie »

...... or can I buy a diskless or value configuration and add something like this:
http://shop.varia-store.com/product_inf ... -5GHz.html
Please note the card you have specified is a Mini PCI.
The Fit-PC2 has a miniPCI express card.
It is not the same.

See the following link as an example Mini PCI express:
ThinkWiki intel 3945 adapter

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

I wonder if Mini-PCI-Express slot can be used to install BlueTooth adapters for those who want internal BlueTooth adapter and don't want Wi-Fi functionality.

irads

Post by irads »

Accessing the miniPCI Express slot involves factory disassembly and is not covered by warranty.

Return to “WLAN and miniPCI-e”