Please provide Basic Setup for watching DVDs

arcticfox

Please provide Basic Setup for watching DVDs

Post by arcticfox »

Hi,

I purchased a Fit PC a couple of months back (Win XP HD version) and am only now getting round to getting it set up as an "always on" box for my second home in Germany. While most general stuff is working well (remote access, general software etc), I have yet to be able to get acceptable video performance out of the unit - very frustrating, as that was one of the main reasons for buying this item. Mainly I just want to use the box to view DVDs and some limited HD content when in Germany, but between tearing artifacts, poor frame rates & general choppiness, even a standard DVD is unwatchable at present. I am pumping the output through a Fulitsu Siemens 23" Full HD Amilo monitor. I have tried using my laptop (IBM Thinkpad) to play DVDs through the same monitor without any problems, so I suspect a problem with the Fit PC hardware or drivers.

Could one of the admin/support guys put up an easy to follow, step by step guide to getting standard DVD and/or HD content working at an acceptable level with this machine? Judging by the various other posts, I don't think I'm alone in needing this!!

Many thanks

J

irads

Re: Please provide Basic Setup for watching DVDs

Post by irads »

1. Install the k-lite standard codec pack - http://www.codecguide.com/download_k-li ... andard.htm
2. Use MPC-HC for playback. You may also use WMP 11.

Notes:
1. Do not use VLC - it does not support HW acceleration
2. Subtitles do not work with DXVA HW acceleration
3. DXVA HW acceleration does not support .wmv encoded with VC1

Best regards,

koez

Re: Please provide Basic Setup for watching DVDs

Post by koez »

arcticfox: did you gain any benefits from the instructions?

I am considering to purchase the same model for similar use cases, but with a custom UI (QT etc, XMBC being too slow?) for playing playlists/media from local network - later maybe as a DVD player in car with a touch display & navigation sw etc.

By the way, a 30 Gb SATA SSD drive would have been more interesting choice than the default 160 Gb hard drive which breaks when used in the car (experienced by a friend).

Return to “Display driver”