Problem with BIOS update

Jim

Problem with BIOS update

Post by Jim »

irads wrote:A new BIOS was released on 21-Jul.
Yes, I found that and downloaded the update files. Followed the instructions for prepping my USB flash drive, but the system reports "Remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart." until I remove the flash drive.

So for now at least I can't do a BIOS update until I figure out why I can't boot from the flash media. Have reformatted and gone through the update instructions twice with the same results.

irads

Re: Problem with BIOS update

Post by irads »

Sounds like you do not have the DOS files on your thumb drive.
Connect it when Windows is running and see if they are present. If not - carefully repeat the preparation procedure.

closedshell

Post by closedshell »

Hi. I donwloaded the bios zip for Win XP and when I run it it says: "ImageWriter MFC Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Any hints on this, please? Thanks.

Mylife

Post by Mylife »

- What kind of Windows (XP, Vista, Seven) ?
- Are you running "ImUpdate.exe" as an Administrator ?
- Instead of "ImUpdate.exe", maybe another tool could help :?: :
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Win32DiskImager

(Windows meddling from a GNU/Linux user)

closedshell

Post by closedshell »

I'm running XP as an admin. The ImUpdate keeps crashing. I already tried it in my laptop and is still crashing. I booted from a USB drive to DOS, but the sflash16.exe is not recognized as a command. My fir PC2 is the value WiFi (no hd). I went to Realtek page and downloaded the drivers and utility for my WiFi: 802.11b/g (Realtek RTL8187L) card. I ran the setup and noe thw sys tray icon is saying that "No Realtek". I'm kinda frustrated by now cause I've tried Ubuntu 8.04, Ubuntu 9.04 and Xubuntu 9.04 before installing XP and none of the 4 OS are recognizing the WiFi card. Any help is really welcome.

irads

Post by irads »

- ImUpdate problem might be an MFC library compatibility issue. Can't provide you much help in resolving it, but on several vanilla XP systems we tried it worked with no issue, so running it from another PC is likely to work.

- The Realtek WiFi is USB. Check in the device manager if you see the device or unrecognized one. If it is not detected it might be a HW problem requiring RMA.

closedshell

Post by closedshell »

I'll try Imupdate in another computer. The WiFi card is not in device manager. The only two unknown devices are the network controller and the AVR 309 USB to UART protocol converter(simple). Under network adapters I only have the NIC card. How do I get an RMA? Thanks.

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

The unknown "Network Controller" is your WiFi.
"AVR 309 USB" is the Fit-PC2 IR.

closedshell

Post by closedshell »

ok. I got my Fit PC2 up and running complete. I got to flash the Bios using win32diskimager-RELEASE-0.1-r15-win32.zip to make my flash drive bootable. Then I copied sflash16.exe and 090721.rom to the flash drive. Booted and at the DOS prompt I typed sflash16.exe 090721.rom and let it finished. Now for the WiFi, I ran the Ralink IS_AP_STA_RT2860.exe and rebooted after. Thanks all for your help! :D

Return to “fit-PC2 BIOS”