[Solved] VNC

jamapii

[Solved] VNC

Post by jamapii »

I don't intend to use a monitor, so I installed tightvnc and tried vino-server (remote desktop).

The keyboard on my laptop does not have "us" layout, and (very unusual for VNC) the keys go through garbled and filtered. With plain tightvnc, all keys are garbled, with gnome and vino-server on top of it (bad, because it uses 50% cpu all the time) non-shifted alphabetical keys work (not enough to type passwords or to do copy-and-paste).

The "character map" in the gnome menu does not offer any of the needed characters.

Does anyone use vnc successfully (Note: non-US layout on the vnc client),
what version, what package?
Last edited by jamapii on Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mylife

Re: VNC

Post by Mylife »

I haven't got any monitor either.
I can't help for VNC because it was too much trouble to do simple things for me.
I left VNC for SSH (and alternatively XDMCP). Maybe it could help ?
Of course, if your laptop works with Windows ( :shock: ), you can forget all what I'm writing now ...

No need to have a user connected on your fit-PC.

* SSH
(OpenSSH or Dropbear servers must be first installed on the fit-PC2) :
==> $ ssh -X fit-PC-user@fit-PC_ip_address
And every Gnome stuff is seen on your laptop and works from your fit-PC :
==> $ gedit
==> $ sudo synaptic

* XDMCP
(Enable=true in the [xdmcp] section of /etc/gdm/gdm.conf or alternatively use "gdmsetup" to grant the distant access) :

Option #1 : as soon as the GDM logon window appears, you can log to your fit-PC2 instead of your laptop ;

Option #2 : even if you're already logged in to your laptop, you can connect to your fit-PC with XDMCP :
- use another "tty" console (pressing Ctrl+Alt+F3 for instance) and type :
==> $ X :1 -query your_fit-PC_ip_address
- A second fit-PC ? You can use another "tty" console (pressing Ctrl+Alt+F4 for instance) and type :
==> $ X :2 -query another_fit-PC_ip_address

X session of the first fit-PC through Ctrl+Alt+F9
X session of the second fit-PC through Ctrl+Alt+F10

Sorry for my english.

ender

Post by ender »

I can't say specifically about Fit-PC2, but I'm running TightVNC's xvnc server on one of my machines, and it works very nicely, except for the national characters, which come through garbled - however, this isn't much of a problem for me, because I almost never need those characters there.

jamapii

Post by jamapii »

I plan to use applications for which ssh is not sufficient.

Not only national characters, but also most non-alphanumeric characters are garbled. When connecting to vino (gnome desktop sharing), shift is filtered out, everything is converted to lowercase.

In Gentoo, and (years ago) LFS, vnc to vnc connections worked. What didn't work was connections to the Windows native rfb (?) thingy and any way of typing into any virtual machine (vmware, virtualbox...), with the possible exception of qemu. vnc, including tightvnc, always worked when it was on both ends of the connection.

Now, ubuntu's tightvnc fails. How did they do it? Is there something to configure? Would an ubuntu tightvnc client work with this server?

jamapii

Re: [Solved] VNC

Post by jamapii »

With vnc4server (not vncserver), everything seems to work. I tried shift, numeric, non-alphanumeric and national characters.

Even vino-server, when started from a vnc4server+gnome, seems to work.

I connected vinagre to tightvncserver before, and it had the same keyboard problems, so I think it is server-specific / client-independent.

Return to “Linux on fit-PC2”