Linux OS for Fit-PC2i revision 1.1

manoka

Linux OS for Fit-PC2i revision 1.1

Post by manoka »

Hello,

As I bought a Fit-PC2i revision 1.1 without the HDD (nor with an OS), I don't seem to be able to get it working with my HDD and with a regular Ubuntu OS.

Has anybody installed Linux Mint on this model, and does everything work fine?

Apparently the Ubuntu OS which works with the Fit-PC2i revision 1.1 is configured, and I'm unable to make the recommended configurations.

Is it possible to get the software of that particular Ubuntu OS, which was installed by Compulab on the Fit-PC2i revision 1.1 which was sold with HDD and OS?

Could anybody with this model copy for me (bootable) the Ubuntu- or Mint-OS onto my USB-stick, so I can install it on my PC?

Many thanks in advance!
manoka

fly

Re: Linux OS for Fit-PC2i revision 1.1

Post by fly »

You can find more information about this issue and a proposed solution (for the server version) at http://fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1651 .

manoka

Post by manoka »

Does this mean that the Fit-PC2i revision 1.1 only works with the server version?
Is there security support available for this?
What can be done with this version or what can't be done?
All I need is access to the internet, audio, video and VoIP.

Wasn't it sold with a desktop version, and why is this version not available?
Or did the desktop version not work?

How come that Compulab didn't publicise information that normal OS desktop versions wouldn't work?

Is Linux Mint working with this one?

Don't you think that Compulab owes the customers, who bought this PC-edition and have troubles with it, better support?
Other businesses do product recalls if they aren't working as they are supposed to.

fly

Post by fly »

No, the desktop versions should work just fine if prepared in the same way. The problem exists in the driver module and the 4gb onboard flash (maybe related to the fact that pata supports master and slave drives while sata only features one drive per port). However, I don't have a fitpc2i (in this revision) to test things.

Denis

Post by Denis »

fit-PC2i revision 1.1 works with all Linux OS, server, desktop, whatever. The only problem is installation from liveCD/USB, because hard drive is not detected. Our kernel detects hard drive because of special patch applied http://www.fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1409.

Here is the possible solution:

1. Get an USB-SATA adapter.
2. Take the internal HDD out and connect it using the USB-SATA adapter.
3. Install LinuxMint 9 on the HDD connected using the USB-SATA adapter following this thread.
4. Now you can place the HDD in the fit-pc2i and boot.
5. Enjoy.
Compulab's Linux support

manoka

Post by manoka »

Thanks guys!
Denis wrote:fit-PC2i revision 1.1 works with all Linux OS, server, desktop, whatever. The only problem is installation from liveCD/USB, because hard drive is not detected.
I'm afraid this is not the only problem, as I have Ubuntu 10.04 desktop edition installed on the SSD but don't seem to be able to fix the problem with the audio and video which don't work.

BTW, I also have a copy of the 9.10 from a Fit-PC2(?) on my (removable) HDD, which has at least audio working on my Fit-PC, but unfortunately the internet connection with my USB modem doesn't work - which of course isn't due to the computer, but a problem obviously many users of this OS have. On the internet there are more fixes proposed than questions asked, and I don't seem to be able to find one that solves this issue for me.
I wonder whether this issue doesn't occur with the LinuxMint 9.
Denis wrote:Our kernel detects hard drive because of special patch applied http://www.fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1409.
Actually it wouldn't be much of a problem for me if the HDD wouldn't be detected. I could do just with the SSD and another HDD connected via USB whenever needed.
Would I have to copy the whole code at once into the terminal or line by line?

Return to “Linux on fit-PC2”